Update: This position has been filled!
Dear Friend of the Muskoka Novel Marathon:
So as to inspire those to excel at raising funds for our beneficiary, YMCA Literacy Services in Muskoka, we offer prizes donated by local businesses to our writers. We are currently in need of a person to contact these donors and organize the prize gathering and awarding. This is a key role in our committee, and integral to the success of each Marathon.
If you have good people skills, good organizational skills, a positive attitude, and can work well with others, you might be the perfect fit. Familiarity with Google Spreadsheets is an asset, but not essential, as you will be trained and guided by the committee and the convenors.
The responsibilities of this position begin in late April, slowly increasing to mid-July (MNM 2020 is on July 17-20). This role also includes some duties on the Friday, Saturday and Monday of the Marathon, but you may also solicit help in that regard.
You will be accountable for:
- contacting donors to ask for donations
- Filling out the MCL (Master Contact List) with donor information and tracking notes
- Picking up prize donations prior to the start of the event
- Having sponsor thank-you cards made by Cavalcade, delivering them to sponsors
Further detail on the Prize Sponsor Co-ordinator’s duties can be found in the Prize Sponsor Co-ordinator Task List, which we will send to you if you are interested.
This role can be taken be a person from out of Huntsville so long as they can co-ordinate with someone local to do the pick-ups and be present at the Marathon.
- You will not have to make any cold calls (we have enough relationships that you only need to be in contact with people who have already donated – whether via email or telephone).
- So as to enable the passing of the position from one person to another, the documentation and notes are very well organized – all info you will need to contact sponsors is in one easy-to-access place.
- We have template letters, so you don’t have to write anything (apart from finessing things to sound more like you).
- We can provide you with literacy stats, info on how MNM has helped the Y, and much more, if necessary, to help enlist sponsor donations. You will likely not need more than to reach out, since most donors have already dealt with MNM previously.
- If you want to write at the Marathon, your spot will be guaranteed and free, in recognition of the fact that you are required to be there.
- This position is time-consuming, prior to the event. However… if you get fewer donors than we had last year, that’s fine, because we have lots of options.
- You have to ask people for items of value, which can be stressful. However, you have the support of the convenors and other MNM volunteers! (Of course if you like asking people for items of value, this is a pro, not a con.)
If you’re a person who likes to be a part of something special, and enjoy having a hand in organizing great events, please contact us. We would be happy to welcome you to the committee, and look forward to working with you to bring the joy of reading to many people in the Muskoka Region, and the excitement of winning prizes to our writers.
Please contact Karen Wehrstein ( or 705 789-7497) or Colum McKnight ( or 416-432-8039) with any expressions of interest.
Karen & Colum,
For the 2020 MNM Committee